KOK Edit: Your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM)
KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) KOK Edit: your favorite copyeditor since 1984(SM) Katharine O'Moore Klopf
Blog

Monday, October 06, 2008

Girls Are Calling My Son!

Girls are calling my sonOkay, it's only one girl.

But a young female person did just now call and leave a message on our land line's answering machine for Neil, my almost-14-year-old ninth-grader, with her phone number. He says that at school, she'd asked for his phone number. He's sitting over there on the living-room couch right now, continuing to play his computer game as if this is no big deal. I told him that it was fine with me if he wanted to take the phone into his room to call her back. "Oh, I'll write down her phone number," he says, not making any move away from his computer. Either he's trying to play it cool or, more likely, he's like all of the nerd boys with whom I fell madly in love at that age who really hadn't yet developed much interest or skill in dealing with girls.

I never had the nerve at 13 or 14 (or at any time during adolescence!) to call a boy. And there's another girl on the school bus with whom Neil watches movies on his laptop sometimes.

Huh. My son, the chick magnet. His voice already breaks as it decides anew each moment what register it will land in. What's next—facial hair? A learner's permit? Ack!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a different world, which is good in some ways and not so good in others.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Katharine! It may not be a big deal to Neil, but it sure is an important Mom moment. Your sweet shy guy has made a good impression!!!

xi chen said...

katharine:

I have to tell that your editor@kokedit.com can not receive any letters.....It reports error when I send you any letter. Please, check it out.

I am sorry that to tell you the problem in this way.

Chen xi

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Please try e-mailing me again at editor@kokedit.com, Chen Xi. If that doesn't work, please try editormom@kokedit.com.

Template created by Makeworthy Media